bind redirecting NS

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Thu Dec 27 18:39:01 UTC 2001

In article <a0fkcs$g1f at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Charles Bodley <bodley at tflogic.com> wrote:

>While setting up a new Microsoft with active directory I read that it needs
>to be in charge of it's dns. I let it think it was in charge of
>*.tf-pdc.internal.tflogic.com but I can't seem to set up my zone roght so
>that queries to bind are forwarded to the tf-pdc box. here is the zone file
>I am trying to use. Everything is working accept the tf-pdc part
>
>[root at blizzard /root]# cat /var/named/db.internal_tflogic_com
>$TTL 3600
>$ORIGIN tflogic.com.
>internal        IN      SOA     internal.tflogic.com.
>hostmaster.tflogic.com. (
>                        2001121701 ; serial
>                        43200 ; refresh
>                        7200 ; retry
>                        1209600 ; expire
>                        3600 ; default_ttl
>                        )
>internal        IN      NS      blizzard.cyberset.com.
>internal        IN      A       10.1.2.17
>$ORIGIN internal.tflogic.com.
>localhost       IN      A       127.0.0.1
>users           IN      A       10.0.0.1
>webhost1        IN      A       10.0.0.103
>tf-pdc          IN      A       10.1.2.1
>
>$ORIGIN tf-pdc.internal.tflogic.com

You need a "." at the end of the name.  Otherwise the origin gets appended,
so it's treated as tf-pdc.internal.tflogic.com.internal.tflogic.com.

>        NS      10.1.2.1

NS records must point to a *name*, not an address.  Change that to:

         NS      tf-pdc.internal.tflogic.com.

Or get rid of the $ORIGIN line entirely and use:

tf-pdc   NS      tf-pdc

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA