CNAME problem

Dubravko Kakarigi dubravko at kakarigi.net
Mon Dec 31 04:07:09 UTC 2001

I have a client for whom I just provide DNS service for his domain (say
10001.org). He wants both 10001.org and www.10001.org to be aliased to
somewhere else (10001.ms.thirdcoast.net for both) using CNAME records.

My bind 8 running on Linux complains when I do try setting it up like this:

10001.org.	IN	SOA	grad.applicom.com. adm.applicom.com. (
			2810545186
			36000
			3600
			360000
			3600 )
		IN	NS	grad.applicom.com.
		IN	NS 	kashmir.fdt.net.
		IN	MX	10 209.110.38.105.
		IN	MX	30 mailqueue.NETCOMI.COM.

10001.org.	IN	CNAME	10001.ms.thirdcoast.net.
www.10001.org.	IN	CNAME	10001.ms.thirdcoast.net.

However the following works fine.

10001.org.	IN	SOA	grad.applicom.com. adm.applicom.com. (
			2810545186
			36000
			3600
			360000
			3600 )
		IN	NS	grad.applicom.com.
		IN	NS 	kashmir.fdt.net.
		IN	MX	10 209.110.38.105.
		IN	MX	30 mailqueue.NETCOMI.COM.
		IN	A	129.41.60.55

www.10001.org.	IN	CNAME	10001.ms.thirdcoast.net.

Before I categorically tell my client that 10001.org could not be aliased,
please someone confirm or contradict and if you would, state your sources.
I studied ORA's "DNS and BIND" in detail but could not find reference that
would help with this. If it can be done, please tell me how.

...thanks