My name server keeps sending NOTIFY requests

Craig Findlay craig at ilid.com.au
Thu Feb 1 03:43:36 UTC 2001

Below is an excerpt from the daemon log on my nameserver (BIND 8.2.2 P7)

Feb  1 14:20:49 claudette named[11967]: Sent NOTIFY for "ilid.com.au IN SOA"
(ilid.com.au); 2 NS, 2 A
Feb  1 14:20:49 claudette named[11967]: Received NOTIFY answer from
139.130.4.5 for "ilid.com.au IN SOA"
Feb  1 14:20:49 claudette named[11967]: Received NOTIFY answer from
203.2.94.5 for "ilid.com.au IN SOA"

Every few seconds, (varying between approx 5 and 30 seconds) my server sends
a NOTIFY request.
It receives answers from either 1 or 2 of the 3 secondary nameservers for
the ilid.com.au zone, as shown.
The third nameserver never responds, however this may be because it is not
running BIND 8 (I don't have control over the secondaries)

All the secondaries are up to date with correct zone information. I have
tried updating the zone file serial number and restarting the server. All
the secondaries do a zone transfer correctly, but my server keeps sending
the NOTIFY requests.

Any ideas why this behavior is happening? The server is running on an
OpenBSD 2.8 machine, and seems to have been doing this behavior since a
recent reboot. I don't think I have accidentally changed any conf files.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Craig Findlay
Senior Development Engineer
The ILID Partnership