SUMMARY & more Q, Re: [HPADM] ORD_16/32 on HP-UX 10.20 for 8.2.3 bind

Christian Krackowizer ckrackowiz at std.schuler-ag.com
Thu Feb 1 10:33:35 UTC 2001

At 08:15 31.01.2001 -0800, you wrote:

>Thanks to Ralf Hildebrandt, Steve Holdoway, Joseph Yao,
>Daniel Wittenberg and others, I have a little better understanding.
>
>To summarize what I did:
>
>Since yesterday, I have been running named 8.2.3 without problems
>and confired that the clients, nslookup, host..., work too.
>
>Q: A colleague downloaded the sources the moment he knew
>    about the security problem. Our version reads:
>       named 8.2.3-REL Tue Jan 30 09:06:05 PST 2001
>
>    Is this the correct output, or was another posted after
>    he downloaded?
>
>-------
>As soon as I uncommented #define ORD_32, it compiled without
>a hitch. A message today said that I should be using ORD_16.
>I still have no clue as to why this was necessary for me.
>Another responder said that he too had to uncomment the
>#define ORD_32 in port/hpux10/include/port_before.h.
>
>Q: Was this the right thing to do???

I compiled with ANSI-c right out of the box, just 'make' (which is
gnu make 3.78.1)

>Q: Did the people who did not have to uncomment it check
>    this file and confirm that it is commented out?

no

>Q: Did you use gcc or HP ansi/c?

Ansi-C. copied the Makefile.set.gcc to Makefile.set and compiled again with
simply 'make' ('make distclean' before)

>Q: Do others verify that I should use ORD_16?
>
>    [To answer a few people's questions.
>      Yes, I have an ANSI C compiler--though I have gcc 2.95.1,
>      I used HP's ansi/c:
>         LINT G.10.32.05 CXREF  G.10.32.05
>         HP92453-01 G.10.32.05 HP C Compiler
>          /usr/lib/libc: $Revision: 76.3 $
>
>       The compile system has patch bundle 51--the latest
>       official release from HP.
>
>       I compiled this on a PA-RISC 2.0 system, but used
>       +DA1.1 so that it will work on the older HPs too. ]
>
>Q: Do the people who had no problems have newer OS patches.

what's 'newer' ? We installed all relevant OS and development patches
at least up to September 2000. 10.20 came back a while ago so you could
have been sleeping on the original versions ...

>Q: What compile options did you use?
>    Aside from changing DEST* paths in bind-8.2.3/port/hpux10/Makefile.set,
>    I didn't do anything else and just compiled with "make", with no
>    other compile options.

see above

>Q: Finally, is it true that 9.1 works fine without threads on 10.20?
>    Ralf and Joseph, have you been running it since 1/30 and
>    have you found any gotchas? Clients work fine?

I have compiled 9.1.0, but not used.

with best regards

Christian Krackowizer
schuler technodat GmbH