newbie help

Jon Page jon.page at pnl.gov
Thu Feb 1 22:25:25 UTC 2001

I am new to this so bear with me.

I am trying to upgrade bind from version 4.9.4 to release 4.9.8-REL on a
Solaris 6 system to fix the security hole listed in CERT CA-2001-02.  I
opted for 4.9.8 instead of  8.2.3 or 9.1 as a quick fix until we can test
the newer version and bring all out DNS servers up to the latest at the same
time.

I am unable to get the build to work.  Running make gives me errors
involving conflicting types for gethostname in conf/portability.h

I have read through the README and INSTALL files and made ( I think ) the
appropriate modes to the Makefile to support Solaris 2.6 and my compiler
 gcc v.2.8.1 0

As I said, I am new to all this and any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jon Page
jon.page at pnl.gov