BIND 8.2.3 Classless Example

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Thu Feb 1 23:17:10 UTC 2001

On Thu, Feb 01, 2001 at 03:38:14PM -0600, Jim D. Kirby wrote:
> Being somewhat non-advanced with DDNS, I would postulate that the only
> benefit to this approach is to maintain the manual formatting of the static
> zone file while allowing the dynamic zone file to be updated willy nilly by
> DDNS/DHCP/AD/Whatever.  Are there other benefits here I am failing to
> recognize?
>
> jk

It wouldn't work for that.  I don't think.

This is meant to delegate PART of a reverse-lookup DNS domain to
another server.

E.g., if I have 128.376.999.in-addr.arpa, and I delegate
999.376.128.64/27 to somebody else, I can use this trick to let them
maintain their own reverse DNS.  See RFC 2317s, Classless IN-ADDR.ARPA
delegation.

[Yes, those are illegal IP addresses.  That's so I wouldn't choose
anybody's favourite address.  ;-}]

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B