classless inverse

Bob Vance bobvance at alumni.caltech.edu
Fri Feb 2 15:41:05 UTC 2001

ISTM that, if the ISP is going so far as to create the classless zone,
then *you* should be the master and let them be slave (assuming that you
are the master for the forward zone already :).
This would require that they delegate the classless sub-domain to you,
but that would be trivial for them, since they have apparently *already*
created it and the attendant CNAME records in the
"104.240.209.in-addr.arpa." zone, which is the "extra" work that they
have to do.

This would allow you to make changes in *both* the forward (again,
assuming that you are the master for it :) *and* the reverse zones.
Otherwise, if you add a name to the forward zone, then you'll have to
rely on them to add the reverse RR for you.

>Can we get a copy of the zone file, install it on our machine and set
>the zone as master so it runs off of ours?
>.at least it would solve our inverse problem.

Well, exactly *what* *is* your reverse problem?
Just local reverse resolution?
If you're going to be master for local purposes, you could just create
the file from scratch (-- or, as you say, get a copy somehow :)
Note that once you *do* become master for this classless reverse zone,
and have the correct PTR records therein, then for the ISP to delegate
it to you (and let the rest of the know about it :), they would simply
change the zone declaration from "master" to "slave" in their named.conf
file (presumably they are secondary for the forward zone and would agree
to be secondary for the reverse) and then make a zone cut in

    "104.240.209.in-addr.arpa."

as, say

$ORIGIN    "104.240.209.in-addr.arpa."
32/27   IN NS  your.nameserver.
        IN NS  their.nameserver.

They already should have the CNAME aliases in there:

$GENERATE 32-63  $ CNAME  $.32/27.104.240.209.in-addr.arpa.

However, it appears that they do *not*, in reality :)  :

linux1# dig  blackcatsolutions.com. a
;; ANSWER SECTION:
blackcatsolutions.com.  5h59m12s IN A   209.240.104.36

while,

linux1# dig 36.104.240.209.in-addr.arpa.
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0

Tks        | <mailto:BVance at sbm.com>
BV         | <mailto:BobVance at alumni.caltech.edu>
Sr. Technical Consultant,  SBM, A Gates/Arrow Co.
Vox 770-623-3430           11455 Lakefield Dr.
Fax 770-623-3429           Duluth, GA 30097-1511