PRE-ANNOUNCEMENT: BIND-Members Forum

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Fri Feb 2 19:21:03 UTC 2001

On Thu, Feb 01, 2001 at 09:11:50PM -0700, Rick Kelly wrote:
> Joseph S D Yao said:
>
> >Why do almost half the users still use BIND 4, and a large proportion
> >of the rest use out-of-date versions of BIND 8?  Why didn't everybody
> >install BIND 9 two weeks ago?
>
> Well, as a small example, rmkhome.com runs DNS on SunOS 4.1.4. While
> BIND 8.2.3 compiles and runs perfectly out of the box, my stab a
> few months ago at building 9.x.x on that box convinced me that I will
> have to install another OS if I want to upgrade to BIND 9. This will
> have an impact on my domain as there are multiple applications running
> on the SunOS box and I'm not ready to bite the bullet.
>
> As a consultant I seem to have more time to spend on customer domains
> that I do on my own.

Funny about that.  ;-)  My wife says the same thing about ours.

Please understand that it was [partly] a rhetorical question.

However, I am going to try to get oneof(9.1.0,8.2.3) in that order
working on SunOS 4.1.3_U1 - there is a machine that on the one hand
requires all sorts of Board approvals to change, but on the other hand
is not worth the time to review for such a change.  ;-}

DON'T ASK.  You wouldn't want to hear it.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B