Problem with BIND 8.2.3 on NT4

ree at thunderstar.net ree at thunderstar.net
Fri Feb 2 18:13:33 UTC 2001

Dear All,

I am running the final version of Bind 8.2.3 on Win NT 4 as a slave for
about 2,000 zones.

Occasionally the BIND service simply stops and has to be manually
restarted. (About once every 24 hours.) This first happened when I was
running 8.2.3 T9B and all I could find in the Application log was two
events shortly before BIND stopped that simply said:

accept: Unknown error

Shortly thereafer I installed the 8.2.3 final and turned on logging
(default settings) in hopes that if it happened again I would be able to
find out why.

About 24 hours later, however, BIND stopped again suddenly and nothing was
logged other than a usual BIND message about an attempted unsuccessful
zone transfer due to the primary not being authoritative or some such but
this was several minutes (about 4 minutes) prior to BIND stopping.

Likewise, the logfile BIND was writing to hadn't been modified for about 4
minutes as well, so no logging coincided with BIND's sudden exit.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

My next troubleshoot will be to go through all the BIND messages to find
and correct anything on the Primary which would cause unsuccessful zone
transfers for the secondary, however this obviously shouldn't cause BIND
to stop in such a fashion.

Thanks in advance.

-Ree