IP, and reverse resolution

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Sat Feb 3 03:23:49 UTC 2001

In order to get that address to reverse-resolve, you need to get the
owner of the parent domain involved. Either they could

a) just add the PTR for you in their zone. But you'd have to bug them
every time you wanted the target of the PTR changed, or

b) delegate the reverse name to you as a zone by itself, e.g. the
"1.23.34.198.in-addr.arpa" zone. You would set up that zone on your
server(s) and maintain it yourself. It would only need to contain 1 SOA,
1 or (preferably) more NS records, and of course 1 or more PTR records,
or

c) create an alias for the reverse name, pointing to a PTR in a zone you
control (you wouldn't necessarily have to create a new zone for this; you
could put the PTR in some existing zone of yours). See RFC 2317 to get a
general idea of how this is done.

- Kevin