PRE-ANNOUNCEMENT: BIND-Members Forum

Lawrence Chan webmaster at montevino.com
Sat Feb 3 08:55:15 UTC 2001

Hello,

It would seem that this members forum thing is a quick and dirty short
term
solution by sacrificing timely and full disclosure for a patching over
of
what is basically a distribution problem (despite Paul's insistence that
it
isn't.)  All Bind users would suffer the same risk from bugs, discovered

either by ISC or by non-ISC entities.  When a bug is uncovered in the
wild,
full and immediate disclosure would give all users an equal chance to
act (at
worst to simply shut the servers down until help comes rather than
unwittingly propagating the infected cache or what have you.)  And by
playing
this "father knows best", the distribution problem won't go away and
would in
fact get worse with increase usage.

Lawrence Chan
lchan at montevino.com