cname quick question

Erik Aronesty erik at primedata.org
Sat Feb 3 21:37:00 UTC 2001

Interesting, so that means you cannot have a CNAME at the "zone top" in any
"file", but you can achieve this same exact effect by putting the CNAME in
the file above it

For example:

I need to CNAME for myname.com to store.yahoo.com.

I tested this and it works/validates - but it seems like a clumsy
workaround.

I had to put the "myname.com." CNAME record in a "com.dom" file. Then I add
"com.dom" as the zone file handling "com." in the conf. I then make sure the
nameserver is not being used by any machines for recursive service so it
can't mislead people about the "com." zone.

Is the only way to achieve a CNAME for myname.com to store.yahoo.com.?  I
cannot replicate the canonical record set (no permissions).

            - Erik