DDNS: how save it is??

Christian Clos bind at cc-web.de
Mon Feb 5 11:35:34 UTC 2001

Hello all,

I`m planing to use DDNS with the following 'concept':

BIND DNS 8.2.3 & Windoze DHCP (2K)
The Clients are not allowed to do an update. If they connect to the dhcp,
the dhcp-server should do the ddns/update.
So far, no problem, but what happends when...
a Client got the same hostname as one of our servers.
Are the client/dhcp allowed to do override the entry???
The servers and clients are all in the same zone 'de.hcom', but in different
IP-Seg./zones (96.50.10.in-addr.arpa are the servers; no client will ever be
in this IP-Segment/zone).
So, I have to allow the dhcp-server to do updates in the zone de.hcom.
But there are also entry`s for servers. How can I make this entry save, so
that nobody can override this by ddns???

Hope anybody can give me a hint - THANX

Christian Clos

BTW: sorry for my bad englich, but my german is also bad ;-)