BIND 9.1, Views, and Zone Transfers

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Mon Feb 5 13:58:27 UTC 2001

    > If you're using internal and external views, why would you want
    > to put the internal one on an external name server?

    Matthew> I can give you my reasoning. I have an internal NS and an
    Matthew> external NS along with a slave for the internal NS.

Fine. This is a good thing. But it's not the same as running split DNS
(with or without views).

    Matthew> The External NS is not hugely loaded but handles ALL
    Matthew> traffic that the internal nameservers can't answer
    Matthew> directly. We use a firewall with a protected DMZ to host
    Matthew> our external name server and all external services - by
    Matthew> using a view on this server I would hope to cut down on
    Matthew> the duplication of queries and enable a faster more
    Matthew> reliable service (The primary Internal NS is not as
    Matthew> stable a box as the External NS)

In this scenario, views will make no difference to the number of
queries your name server on the firewall gets. That's a function of
the RTT to each of the NS records your zone has. As a general rule,
the faster responding servers get more of the queries. If you want to
reduce the queries on the firewall name server - why bother? - make it
a stealth master for the external version of your zone(s). ie It's not
listed in the NS records for those zones so other name servers can't
find it to query it.