bind 9.1.0 freezes periodically

scott hollatz shollatz at d.umn.edu
Mon Feb 5 16:34:36 UTC 2001

	[stuff deleted]
> i compiled on the third machine, then copied to the first two and
> switched over to the new version. for several days, the second and
> third machines were working just fine, but the first machine would
> stop answering to queries after about 12-18 hours. named would still
> be running (and it would be eating up 100% of the cpu!) but it wasn't
	[stuff deleted]

We observerd pretty much the same thing, except our cycle time was about
5-6 hours.  I gathered stats on it for a week and noticed a lot of paging
just before lookups went unresponsive.  Our box may be underpowered: only
128 MB RAM as opposed to 2+GB running on boxes not exhibiting the same
problem (although they're doing cache-only...).

We backed off to 8.2.3 until more memory arrives; we'll test again.

--
scott hollatz                                   internet shollatz at d.umn.edu
information technology systems and services    telephone +1 218 726 8851