non-glue record error (can't figure it out)

loren jan wilson ljwilson at midway.uchicago.edu
Mon Feb 5 19:05:48 UTC 2001

On Mon, Feb 05, 2001 at 12:44:05PM -0500, Bob Vance wrote:

> You apparently delegated "mcis" (NS record) somewhere in that zone file.
>
> Show the entire zone file, and it might be easier to say :)

i don't think that showing the entire zone file would be good.
# wc -l names
   26350 names
#

however, this might help:
# grep mcis names
matkon  in      cname   matkon.mcis
mcis-vispc3     in      a       128.135.80.156
mcis-vispc3     in      hinfo   COMPAQ/DESKPRO-EN400 WIN-95
ntadmin in      cname   radonc-uc-po.mcis
remedy  in      cname   remedy.mcis
sched1  in      cname   epic.mcis
;uhs.mcis       in      cname   uhs.bsd.uchicago.edu.

and in another file, we have this:
mcis   in      cname   smtp.mcis.uchicago.edu.

also, this may help:
# host mcis
There is an entry for this host, but it doesn't have a Mail Exchanger
record.
# host mcis.bsd
mcis.bsd.uchicago.edu is a nickname for smtp.mcis.uchicago.edu
smtp.mcis.uchicago.edu has address 165.68.31.75
smtp.mcis.uchicago.edu mail is handled (pri=0) by
smtp.mcis.uchicago.edu

sorry, but i don't know exactly what information might be
helpful...i'm very new to all this.

thanks much,
loren

--