HELP

Bob Vance bobvance at alumni.caltech.edu
Mon Feb 5 21:39:46 UTC 2001

As long as we're talking about classless delegation, again.
I want to float an idea that I've been mulling over lately:

A simpler classless solution -- no delegations and NS records, no new
zones or anything.

In the parent, "normal" reverse zone do this :

;;;$ORIGIN   199.22.195.in-addr.arpa.
@  IN   SOA ...

   ...  ;;; your stuff

;;; remove their current PTRs.
;;; then add:
$GENERATE 64-95 $ CNAME $.cl-rev.somedomain.com.al.

Here, you have set up the "real" reverse-lookup data as aliases pointing
to their zone.  Note that there is no additional delegation here.

In *their* current *forward* zone, they would simply add the canonical
PTR records for the reverse aliases that you created in the main reverse
zone:

Their current forward zone file:

;;;$ORIGIN   somedomain.com.al.
@  IN   SOA ...
foo   IN  A  195.22.199.65
bar   IN  A  195.22.199.66
rag   IN  A  195.22.199.75

Their *new* forward zone file:

;;;$ORIGIN   somedomain.com.al.
@  IN   SOA ...
foo         IN  A  195.22.199.65
65.cl-rev   IN  PTR  foo
bar         IN  A  195.22.199.66
66.cl-rev   IN  PTR  bar
rag         IN  A  195.22.199.75
75.cl-rev   IN  PTR  rag

This has a few benefits, I believe.
1stly, as I said, no new delegations nor NS records.
2ndly, no new zone files -- anywhere -- and no changes to
    /etc/named.conf.
3rdly, the pseudo-delegated reverse records can be co-located with their
forward data which is simpler to maintain than having two files to
modify every time a change is made.

We could have gotten by without using "cl-rev" (or whatever), but this
allows the delegatee to separate the zones, if desired.

Comments from the gurus :)

_FLAME_SUIT_ = 1 ;

Tks        | <mailto:BVance at sbm.com>
BV         | <mailto:BobVance at alumni.caltech.edu>
Sr. Technical Consultant,  SBM, A Gates/Arrow Co.
Vox 770-623-3430           11455 Lakefield Dr.
Fax 770-623-3429           Duluth, GA 30097-1511