e205186.upc-e.chello.nl can't find sjopping.net: Server failed

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Tue Feb 6 18:05:50 UTC 2001

>>>>> "maarten" == hartsuijker  <hartsuijker at my-deja.com> writes:

    maarten> I have been trying to get bind 8.2.3 working for a couple
    maarten> of days now, but keep getting this error message:
    maarten> e205186.upc-e.chello.nl can't find sjopping.net: Server failed

    maarten> I get this error message when I am using nslookup,
    maarten> performed a server 213.93.205.186 and then type
    maarten> sjopping.net

That's hardly surprising. There's no name server running on
213.93.205.186 and the domain sjopping.net does not exist. It has not
been delegated by the .net name servers. And you're better off using a
decent DNS lookup tool like dig, not the confusing and brain-dead
nslookup. Try querying the IP address of the name server that's
serving this bogus sjopping.net zone. It's not clear from what you've
provided if the config files you showed are the ones for a name server
that used to run on that IP address.

You have an error in the sjopping.net zone file too. It says that
www.sjopping.net is an alias for sjopping.net, but there's no A record
for that name. So your web server entry in the DNS points nowhere.

Also, you have errors in the named.conf and resolv.conf files you
showed. Semicolons are not comment characters in named.conf and the
line "directory /var/named" should be in BIND8 syntax and enclosed by
an options{} statement. What you've got is some legacy cruft from
BIND4. There will be error messages in the logs about that. As for
resolv.conf, you can have a domain or search directive, but not
both. The last is the one which is used but luckily for you the two
conflicting directives have the same effect.