using slave on un-published network??

Bob Vance bobvance at alumni.caltech.edu
Wed Feb 7 04:00:27 UTC 2001

I assume that you're referring to using the CNAMEs:

@    IN  A  1.2.3.8
www  IN  CNAME   @
ftp  IN  CNAME   @

as opposed to

@    IN  A  1.2.3.8
www  IN  A  1.2.3.8
ftp  IN  A  1.2.3.8

I sorta like the first form, from a maintenance/elegance perspective;
only one field to change in order to change the address --
admittedly a small, strained advantage.  I just prefer, in general, to
reduce "hard coding" to a minimum.

But the CNAME *does* cost an extra RR lookup to return the actual
canonical data.  Also, if you ever moved, say, the ftp server to another
IP address, you'd end up having basically to rewrite the entire record
instead of possibly just the last byte of the existing record :)

I'm not sure what else is bad about it, but it seems that the gurus
here tend to prefer the second one.

But, let's let *them* speak ...

Tks        | <mailto:BVance at sbm.com>
BV         | <mailto:BobVance at alumni.caltech.edu>
Sr. Technical Consultant,  SBM, A Gates/Arrow Co.
Vox 770-623-3430           11455 Lakefield Dr.
Fax 770-623-3429           Duluth, GA 30097-1511