BIND 9.1.0 - trouble resolving certain hosts

Ben Weaver w at tranquility.net
Wed Feb 7 20:49:56 UTC 2001

I have installed BIND 9.1.0 on a FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE box from the FreeBSD ports collection.  My installation went flawlessly as did the change from 8.2.3 which I had been running previously.  After running it for a day or so, I noticed that I was having trouble resolving the host www.carfaxonline.com, which is served by dd.carfax.com.

I ran named in debugging mode and noticed from the logs that it was timing out when attempting to communicate with dd.carfax.com.  That explained why my "dig @localhost www.carfaxonline.com in a" returned a SERVFAIL status, so I installed BIND 9.1.0 on a few other FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE machines I have, and got the same result.

I then looked through the archives for this mailing list and found this thread:

http://www.isc.org/ml-archives/bind-users/2000/09/msg00177.html

which described my problem exactly, including the "dd" in the hostname for the name server.  I have downgraded to BIND 8.2.3 in the mean time since it doesn't experience any problems with resolving from dd.carfax.com, but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what I might do to fix the problem when I run 9.1.0.

Thanks,

-Ben