Availabilty and load sharing with MX records?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Feb 8 02:51:53 UTC 2001

Just put the 2 MX records at equal preference value. Any mailer which
obeys RFC 974 -- and thankfully, most of them do, these days -- will
randomize between them if possible, or fail over if one is down. There's
no need to *repeat* MX targets in an MX list, and in fact by doing so
you may cause additional delivery-attempt delays in the unlikely event
that *both* of the MX targets are unavailable.

- Kevin