Possible System Compromise

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Thu Feb 8 12:51:53 UTC 2001

	Is there any way to basically prevent this behavior
without breaking proper operation?  We have been using bind-8
versions for over a year and why we have suddenly began to
receive occasional complaints is a mystery.  The actual system
only has a hand full of accounts on it and they are all
white-hats.  Obviously, if it is a bad delegation, there isn't
much we can do, but I bet it is something else.  Any of the hosts
that look to this dns will default to it if they do a local
nslookup, but their nslookup should go directly to whatever dns
they select such that any complaints would be about the IP
address of that work station in particular.

	I do not want to enter the finger-pointing game any more
than absolutely necessary, but is there any way that a local work
station could query our dns and cause it to do this?  We have
only one real sea change in our population going on right now and
it would coincide with the timing of the couple of reports we
have received.

Martin McCormick