DNS error ?!?!

Simone gepadv at micanet.it
Fri Feb 9 10:57:23 UTC 2001

I' ve a DNS server as a primary DNS server, and the same DNS server as a
secondary DNS server in another IP address that points in the same PC.

In the event viewer of NT 4, where my DNS server is, i read often this error
message:

DNS Server encountered a packet addressed to itself -- IP address
222.222.222.222
The DNS server should never be sending a packet to itself.  This situation
usually indicates a configuration error. Check the following areas for
possible self-send configuration errors:
1) Forwarders list. (DNS servers should not forward to themselves).
2) Master lists of secondary zones.
3) Notify lists of primary zones.
4) Delegations of subzones.  Must not contain NS record for DNS server
Example:     -> This DNS server dns1.foo.com is the primary for the zone
foo.com.     -> You have delegated the zone bar.foo.com to
bardns.bar.foo.com. and         are NOT running the bar.foo.com zone on this
DNS (dns1.foo.com).     -> bar.foo.com MUST NOT have an NS record that
points at dns1.foo.com.
Note, you should make this check (with nslookup or DNS manager) both on
this DNS server and on the server(s) you delegated the subzone to.
It is possible that the delegation was done correctly, but that the primary
DNS for the subzone, has any incorrect NS record pointing back at this
server.
If this incorrect NS record is cached at this server, then the self-send
could result.
If found, the subzone DNS server admin should remove the     offending NS
record.

I don't forward to my server, I don't hava secondary zones, i don't Know
about notify list ..... :( and I don't delegate anything, what could be
wrong?

Thanks a lot,
Simone