Rogue bit set in flags?

M_THACH_XUAN marc.thach at radianz.com
Fri Feb 9 14:04:01 UTC 2001

Help!  I'm running BIND 9.1.0 on RedHat 6.1.  When I delegate or forward from
my server to another, I get an unexpected bit set in the header.  Unfortunately
this upsets the DNS server (non-BIND) that receives these queries.
The DNS header flags field contains a 3-bit (bits 9-11) reserved field known in
RFC1035 as "Z".  The least-significant bit (bit 11 of the flags field) is set
in the forwarded and delegated queries from my Bind 9 server.  I have tried to
find an RFC update which redefines this field but so far without luck.
Can somebody help me please.  I would like to know whether this is now legal
and if so what the field is used for, and whether it can be suppressed easily.
TIA
Marc Thach Xuan Ky