Error Processing Update Packet (NXRRSET) Message

Smith, William E., Jr. Bill.Smith at jhuapl.edu
Fri Feb 9 14:33:16 UTC 2001

I'm seeing the following error logged to my messages file:

Feb  8 12:32:51 dnservername.site.edu named[424]: error processing update
packet (NX
RRSET) id 18 from [10.0.0.1].1091

Looking at the db.log for the domain the object is trying to be added to, I
see lines such as this:

[DYNAMIC_UPDATE] id 70 from [10.0.0.1].1426 at 981661079 (named pid 424):
zone:   origin subdomain.site.edu class IN serial 56
prereq: {nxrrset} host.subdomain.site.edu. IN CNAME
prereq: {nxrrset} host.subdomain.site.edu. IN A
update: {add} host.subdomain.site.edu. 1200 IN A 10.0.0.1

I've the archives and found some info which basically stated a prereq was
that the host not own any CNAME/A records.  As far as I can tell & see, the
object doesn't own any other CNAME/A records.  Interestingly enough, the PTR
record seems to get in just fine.

Just as FYI, I'm testing a W2K client with the "register connection in DNS
box checked".  I initially got errors about unapproved updates but I quickly
fixed those so my test client could perform the update.  With all the
necessary privileges in place, I then got the errors above.

I'm banging my head against the wall trying to figure this one out but must
be missing something.  Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Bill Smith
<mailto:bill.smith at jhuapl.edu>
The Johns Hopkins University                    Washington DC: 240-228-5523
Applied Physics Laboratory                      MD: 443-778-5523
11100 Johns Hopkins Road                        Fax: 443-778-5727
Laurel, MD 20723-6099                           Web:
<http://www.jhuapl.edu/>