More Zone Transfer Stuff

Tim Molloy bind at timmy.ws
Fri Feb 9 15:55:12 UTC 2001

I posted a message about Zone Tranfers a couple days ago. I got the
answer I wanted, and it seems what I'm doing is correct. I'm having
trouble getting my slave server to update it's zone file on a NOTIFY
from the master. I was told by Kevin Darcy that the way I had it setup
was correct, and to check my logs. etc to see why I was not getting
the results I wanted. I have another question about this, which is
maybe the reason I am having this problem.

My Primary DNS server is behind a firewall, and the slave server is at
another location, directly connected. Correct me if I'm wrong, but
seeing as how DNS uses a random port for zone transfers, would it not
cause a problem if your DNS server is behind a firewall? I'm using
Linux iptables, in case that makes a difference.

I would appreciate any suggestions in this matter.

thank you