DNS zone transfers

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Fri Feb 9 18:18:23 UTC 2001

    Tim> allow-transfer { none; }, or allow tranfer only to your name
    Tim> servers.

    Tim> I'm not sure of the syntax in BIND 4.x, but that's how you do
    Tim> it in BIND 8.x/9.x  hope that helps

It doesn't. The syntax of BIND4's config file is completely different
from that in BIND8 and BIND9. The file even has a different name! And
there is no allow-transfer clause in BIND4.

IIRC there was something called xfernets, but this entailed using
special compile-time options and then putting weird xfernets TXT
records in the zone files. I could well be wrong about this as it's
been a while since I looked at software that's been as long dead as
BIND4. The original poster should upgrade to BIND9 or at least 8.2.3.