Is RR type , case insensitive ?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Sat Feb 10 02:36:44 UTC 2001

In the absence of any guidance from the RFC's, this is an implementation
detail. BIND, as one implementation, treats the contents of those fields
case-insensitively.

You realize, of course, that master file format is just a way to
*represent* things like class, type, TTL, etc. (?) When resolvers and
nameservers talk to each other, or nameservers talk amongst themselves,
they're sending binary values (class "IN" == 1, type "NS" == 2, etc.)
over the wire, and "case" is irrelevant.

- Kevin