CNAME record and a MX record in 8.2.3?

Erik Aronesty erik at primedata.org
Mon Feb 12 06:17:06 UTC 2001

This whole issue is whacked.

CNAME's should not conflict with SOA RR's.  There's absolutely nothing *explicit* in the RFC that says they must "conflict with SOA records" or get rejected.

BIND 8.2.3 implements this - but it's easy to comment out the ++errs code in load_db.c in the right places.  All browsers and resolver libraries already support CNAME's at the zone-top.

			- Erik