Migration Notes [Was: Re: Upgrade 4.9.7->9.1.0, 8.1.2-9.1.0]

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Mon Feb 12 18:40:44 UTC 2001

On Mon, Feb 12, 2001 at 12:57:50PM +1100, Mark.Andrews at nominum.com wrote:
> 2.2. Periods in SOA Serial Numbers Deprecated
> 2.5. Unimplemented BIND 8 Extensions
>
> $GENERATE: The "$$" construct for getting a literal $ into a domain
> name is deprecated.  Use \$ instead.

There is a difference between "deprecated" and "not implemented / no
longer available".  The use of the former for the latter is deprecated.

;->

> 3. Interoperability Impact of New Protocol Features
> Unfortunately, there exists at least one non-BIND name server
> implementation that silently ignores these queries instead of sending
> an error response.  Resolving names in zones where all or most
> authoritative servers use this server will be very slow or fail
> completely.  We have contacted the manufacturer of the name server in
> case, and they are working on a solution.

Realizing that ISC and Nominum have no wish to deprecate the products
of other vendors [well, mostly], it would still help those of us who
have to support networks over which we have incomplete control to know
of which server you are speaking.  May we know?

Thanks.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B