Reverse Lookup Fails???

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Tue Feb 13 00:04:38 UTC 2001

On Mon, Feb 12, 2001 at 03:35:42PM -0800, bindns at 123india.com wrote:

> If I am not wrong, BIND 8 onwards, reverse lookups are not much favored. I also was hit by the same situation. (I assume that your domain is registered and its details are well propagated). If you are able to resolve the name to ip of ur domain from some where else, you probably have a good config, with nothing to worry about. Try with nslookup with q=MX and q=NS options, so that your config can be trusted.
>
> Please let me know if this was of any use.
>
> Anu

You are wrong.  Reverse lookups continue to be an important part of the
name server infrastructure.

Read the primer.

You would not expect to be able to set up a domain "anu.whitehouse.gov"
at home, and run it, without the name servers of "whitehouse.gov" first
delegating that domain to you.  Yet people constantly seem to expect
"235.234.216.in-addr.arpa" to work without the name servers of the
domain "234.216.in-addr.arpa" delegating to them.  Or the like.

It has been pointed out that 'nslookup' is not the most trustable
program.  My opinion is that it should be made more trustable, since
the output is much more usable for "everyone else" than the output of a
superior-for-the-cognoscenti tool like 'dig'.  But if you are a person
doing DNS professionally, you should use 'dig' or the like.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B