newbie question

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Tue Feb 13 00:16:40 UTC 2001

On Mon, Feb 12, 2001 at 03:15:18PM -0800, bindns at 123india.com wrote:

> Check for the origin in the forward and reverse look up files and make sure that your hostname is present in that with an appropriate RR and that there is no dot at the end of the hostname there.

A $ORIGIN is unnecessary and, IMHO, usually harmful in zone files,
because people don't remember that it's there.

A $ORIGIN should never have a hostname.

A $ORIGIN is not an RR.

etc.

Perhaps you meant to use a term other than "origin".  But I can't
figure out what you are talking about, and I can't figure out its
relation to an answer to the question, anyway.

> On Sat, 10 February 2001, "Bernd Driesen" wrote:
> > Bind8 on SuSE 6.3 and Windows as Client.
> >
> > A "ping machine.domain.com" from the windows client works fine, but "ping
> > machine" gets no result (unknown host).
> >
> > I have already set "search domain.com" into the resolv.conf.
> >
> > The machine on which bind8 is running works fine ("ping machine" gets the
> > IP-number).
> >
> > Any ideas?

An MS Windows client does not have a "resolv.conf".  The "resolv.conf"
on the SuSE system only affects the BIND client(s) on the SuSE system
speaking to the server program on the same machine.  On the MS Windows
machine, you have to set the domain and the search list.  The syntax
varies on different versions of MS Windows.  Try:
	right-click on Network Neighbourhoods
	select Properties
	select the appropriate TCP/IP line
	select Properties
	select the DNS Configuration tab
	enter your domain as "domain" and under "domain suffix
		search order"
This must be done on each MS Windows machine that will be using the
server.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B