legal hostnames in zone files

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Tue Feb 13 00:31:33 UTC 2001

On Mon, Feb 12, 2001 at 04:00:10PM -0800, bindns at 123india.com wrote:

> BIND 8 does not support host names with underscores. If you still want to have host names with underscores, put them in host file and then, the absolute names may be provided to the dns records.
>
> Anu

(4+)

BIND does not read the /etc/hosts file.

Underscores have been illegal in host names for a very long time.  BIND
8.2 started to enforce that.  If you must have underscores in a domain
name, and with the understanding that it's possible that some other
name server may reject that name, then BIND 8 has an option to allow
it.  You may use the "check-names" option to turn checking down or off
for a single zone or for the whole server.

However, I strongly recommend that you write a little script to go out
and find underscores in host names and change them.  The dash ('-') is
legal.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B