no zone transfer with bind 8.2.3 ??

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Wed Feb 14 17:33:51 UTC 2001

    ralf> Since I've upgraded our name server to bind 8.2.3
    ralf> zonetransfers doesn't work anymore. Restarting the named has
    ralf> no effect and a "ndc reload zone-name" says

    ralf> Slave transfer queued.

    ralf> and nothing happens :-(

    ralf> so what's the matter with it?

Does the slave server have connectivity to the master server?
Does the master server have a higher serial number in the zone's SOA
record than the slave has?
Does the master server answer authoritatively for the zone?
Can you do the zone transfers by hand (with named-xfer or by getting
dig to make axfr requests to the master server)?
Is the master server refusing your server's axfr requests?
Is named able to exec named-xfer?
Are you running the named-xfer for BIND8.2.3?
Is it installed in the right place with the right access permissions?
Does named-xfer have permission to create fresh zone files?

Have you looked at the name server logs to find out why the transfers
doen't appear to be working?