2 Interfaces

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Feb 15 03:35:51 UTC 2001

(Hmmm... I already answered this once, but apparently my response never
made it to the list. Here is a repost).

If you are *only* using this nameserver to resolve Internet names for
internal clients, then I would use "listen-on" to have named only listen
on the internal interface.

If you are also hosting domains externally, then listen on both
interfaces, but only allow recursion for the internal clients.

If you are hosting domains externally, and also hosting some private
domains internally, then obviously I would use allow-query to prevent
external clients from querying those private domains.

Lastly, if you you are hosting a zone externally and want to host the
*same* zone internally, but with private names in it (i.e. the external
version is just a subset of the zone), then you'll have to implement
"split DNS" with multiple nameserver instances (in BIND 8) or "view"s (in
BIND 9).

- Kevin