query log: what does 63864 mean?

Stanley Liu stanley.liu at tmca.com.au
Thu Feb 15 23:53:47 UTC 2001

Jim Reid wrote:

>     Stanley> 16-Feb-2001 08:32:04.000 XX /198.133.29.82/mail1.tmca.com.au/63864/IN
>
> Client 198.133.29.82 was looking for a record which has type number
> 63864 for the name mail1.tmca.com.au. This record type is not defined.
> It's probably some WINS record type and Microsoft just plucked the
> number out of the air without getting it assigned via IETF/IANA.

Thanks for the prompt reply.  The DNS is for Internet purpose and should not have WINS
accessing it.  Hmmm I wonder ...  One thing is that can a "type" be numeric?  I
thought label cannot be numeric and I assumed type would be the same.  Obviously not.

Back to my original motive for asking the question: could I safely assume that it was
just a malformed query?

--

Stanley Liu
stanley.liu at tmca.com.au

                               DISCLAIMER
* This email and any attachment may contain confidential information.
  If you are not the intended recipient you are not authorised to copy
  or disclose all or any part of it without the prior written consent
  of Toyota.
* Opinions expressed in this email and any attachment are those of the
  sender and not necessarily the opinions of Toyota.
* Please scan this email and any attachment for viruses.  Toyota does
  not accept any responsibility for problems caused by viruses, whether
  it is Toyota's fault or not.