Bind upgrade

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Fri Feb 16 16:39:44 UTC 2001

    Robert>   I am in the process of setting up two DNS servers
    Robert> running on Solaris 7 to replace our old HP versions. I
    Robert> have installed 9.1.0 on the SUN servers and want to know
    Robert> if I can take my old named.boot file from my HP server
    Robert> running BIND 4.9.x and convert it to the named.conf? I
    Robert> heard of a pearl script that will do this, is this valid?

Try the named-bootconf shell script thats in the BIND9 contrib
directory.

    Robert> Also, can I use all my old db.name files from the old
    Robert> system or do they need to be converted too?

The format of zone files hasn't changed. However BIND9 is much
stricter about following the standards than BIND4. So syntax errors
and bad practices that used to be allowed won't get past BIND9. Use
named-checkzone for syntax/sanity checks on your zone files before
getting them loaded by a BIND9 server. One thing you will have to do
is add a $TTL directive to each zone file. See the migration notes in
doc/misc for more details about this and other migration issues.