newbie - MX at nonstandard port setup in BIND

Kenneth Porter shiva at well.com
Fri Feb 16 22:15:55 UTC 2001

On Fri, 16 Feb 2001 11:32:31 -0200, Pedro Zorzenon Neto wrote:

>As my ISP policy is not let me receive incoming conections on port 25, I set up my mail server in a non standard port.

@Home, perhaps? I know they disallow mail and news servers in
particular, because newbies have inadvertantly set up open relays, and
@Home took the heat for the resulting spam.

> How do I specify in the DNS server (BIND 8.2.3) that a MX is in a non standard port?

Get the sendmail people to start using SRV records.
(news:comp.mail.sendmail) You could also get someone to start offering
a TCP port-forwarding service, whereby you specify their server as the
MX server, and they just forward connections to your server on a
non-standard port. Perhaps the people running dynamic DNS services
could set this up for a small fee.

Ken
mailto:shiva at well.com
http://www.sewingwitch.com/ken/
[If answering a mailing list posting, please don't cc me your reply. I'll take my answer on the list.]