redirecting a domain?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Feb 16 23:15:30 UTC 2001

I don't know exactly what you mean by "nameserver details". Do you mean the NS
records for the zone? In that case, just deconfigure domain2.com on
ns1.domain1.com. Once other nameservers detect that ns1.domain1.com is
"lame" for domain2.com, they will avoid it and ask ns2.domain1.com instead.

If, on the other hand, by "nameserver details" you mean delegation records,
then, in addition to deconfiguring the zone on ns1.domain1.com, you should also
ns1.domain1.com from the NS records for the zone. Nameservers which try to
resolve names in domain2.com might hit the lame server at first, but once they
get an answer, they'll use the NS records from the Authority Section of the
response, and thus avoid the lame server.

But you should really *fix* the NS records in the zone and/or in the
delegation. It's very antisocial to knowingly leave a lame server in *any*
NS record.

(Note: setting up ns1.domain1.com to "forward" domain2.com to ns2.domain1.com
does *not* work, although it is tempting to think that it might. Trouble is,
most nameserver-to-nameserver queries are *iterative*, and iterative queries
aren't forwarded.)

- Kevin