help needed w/rndc

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Sat Feb 17 00:03:20 UTC 2001

    >> I'm having a hard time understanding rndc (mostly what goes in
    >> the "secret" string in named.conf and rndc.conf, and where to
    >> put the key files after they're created).  I've looked through
    >> arm and manpages but I'm still stuck getting "rndc: decode
    >> base64 secret: bad base64 encoding".

    .... config file data snipped....

Thanks for showing the files as-is. This made it straightforward to
identify the problem. The base-64 key in rndc.conf is not the same as
the one in named.conf. The problem is that the rndc.conf key isn't a
valid base64-encoded string. [That's why rndc was complaining about
it.] The key is 77 bytes long and IIRC base-64 strings are always
padded to end on some multiple of 4 byte-boundary.

Your named.conf key is
	"Q3FAMx77UIG6YeleBt9VDUCSa8rKZ459P7MYKOCxeQmlahCDlyvnmYgYfTSLXnB0
	poaE+U/QzN1GcBzJziOgQQ=="

but the one in rndc.conf is:
	"Q3FAMx77UIG6YeleBt9VDUCSa8rKZ459P7MYKOCxeQmlahCDlyvnmYgYfTSLXnB0
	GcBzJziOgQQ=="

Maybe your mouse slipped and you didn't cut and paste the missing
"poaE+U/QzN1"?