Nameserver problems

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Sat Feb 17 01:58:06 UTC 2001

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "the NS table". Do you mean the
delegations or do you mean the results of an NS query? These aren't
necessarily the same thing. If you didn't update the NS records in the
zones themselves, then maybe your servers are giving out out-of-date
and/or incomplete NS information. Unfortunately, the NS information your
servers give out are considered to have higher "credibility" than the
delegations themselves, so that is the NS list that other nameservers
will use from the time they get an answer from your servers until it
expires from their caches and they have to fetch a new delegation.

Of course, if you had provided the actual domain names with the problem,
I could have already verified whether this is the case or not. As it is,
I'm just guessing. Maybe there's some other sort of problem...

It seems unlikely that your ISP is manipulating the contents of
DNS packets in transit. Why would they even want to do that?

- Kevin