ddns not possible with XDSL clients ??

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Mon Feb 19 10:21:01 UTC 2001

    Erwin> Hi, My dynamic dns server works fine for FastEthernet
    Erwin> clients.  But when I try to dial in with XDSL (sdsl modem
    Erwin> via dslam + atm swith + b-ras) no ddns update occurs.  What
    Erwin> does work: the client receives an ip addres from the dhcp
    Erwin> server the static dns entries (servers) are available

    Erwin> What doesn't work: My dns zones stay the same, only with
    Erwin> the option ddns-hostname .... a ddns update is initiated
    Erwin> (of course).  For PPPoE I'm using Winpoet and Enternet300.
    Erwin> Has it something to do with my router (worked fine for FE
    Erwin> clients)? Or am I using the wrong versions (dhcp-3.0b2p11,
    Erwin> bind8.2.3)?

The DNS does not care what kind of interface is used for sending
Dynamic DNS (DDNS) requests. [How could a name server know a request
came from an Ethernet or DSL interface? Why would it care?] If you
want help, provide more information: like the contents of the name
server's logs, the config files and so on. ie "When the client did X,
the server said Y".

There are two likely explanations for the problem. The first is that
the DDNS request is sent to the wrong address. Are you even sure that
your client is making a DDNS request and it gets to the correct name
server? The second possibility is that the request was refused or
rejected by the name server. For example because it was to a zone that
isn't under dynamic control or because the client making the request
was not "trusted". Maybe the client IP address or TSIG key isn't
allowed to update the dynamic zone? Try looking in your logs.