Setting up a Master dns under Linux with Bind9

Doug Barton DougB at gorean.org
Mon Feb 19 22:16:27 UTC 2001

Martin McCormick wrote:

>         We are looking for new hardware for our master and slave
> dns's and are presently using 143-MHZ Sun Sparc Ultras, each with
> 512 megs of RAM.
>
>         The thought is to replace the five-year-old systems with
> high-end Pentium systems running Linux and containing at least
> the same amount of RAM if not more.

	As long as you aren't close to running out of ram now, the same amount of
ram should be fine. The size of the dns db is going to be roughly the same,
and so is the amount of system in ram. Of course, if you're doing an
upgrade anyway, it's cheaper to add more now.

>         My question is basically whether a high-end Pentium
> server running Linux is a safe replacement for the Sparc.

	My entirely biased opinion is that FreeBSD is going to make a better
server platform. Of course, that bias is informed by years of experience,
but it is a bias nonetheless. You can get more information at
http://www.freebsd.org/

Good luck,

Doug
--
    "Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory . . . lasts forever."
        -- Keanu Reeves as Shane Falco in "The Replacements"