High Zone Xfer?

Mark.Andrews at nominum.com Mark.Andrews at nominum.com
Tue Feb 20 03:59:15 UTC 2001

> On Tue, Feb 20, 2001 at 09:27:36AM +1100, Mark.Andrews at nominum.com wrote:
> > 	That said it gives some people a warm fuzzy feeling to block
> > 	zone transfers in the belief that it will significantly slow
> > 	down attempts to break into the site or reduce spam.
>
> Mark, could you clarify here?  Are you saying features like
> "allow-transfer" are useless?

	I'm not saying that allow-transfer is useless specially
	when combined with allow-query.  People block transfers
	of reverse zones.  It's easy enough to enumerate the
	reverse space.  As for the forward space names leak
	through many sources.

	If you put something in the DNS and make it available to
	regular queries don't expect it to stay hidden because
	you have an allow-transfer.

> Personally I find that if there's no reason for any machines other than
> my hosting servers to send transfers to one-another, then the transfers
> should be limited to those machines.

	That's your perogative.

--
Mark Andrews, Nominum Inc.