ev_timers failed

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Tue Feb 20 12:43:37 UTC 2001

    Rinaldi> I'm running a name server using BIND 8.2.3, and i often
    Rinaldi> receive this following messages (i never had this message
    Rinaldi> before i upgrade it to BIND 8.2.3):

    Rinaldi> Feb 20 14:58:36 ns2 named[392]: ev_timers.c:114:
    Rinaldi> INSIST(now.tv_usec >= 0 && now.tv_usec < 1000000) failed.

    Rinaldi> does anyone have any idea what happen in my server ?

Please check the list archives. This question crops up regularly. Your
kernel is broken so get it fixed. It's putting any old rubbish in the
tv_usec element of a timeval struct. tv_usec is supposed to be a count
of the number of microseconds. It therefore shouldn't have a value
less than 0 or greater than 999999. Your kernel returned a nonsense
value that triggered the name server's assertion check. Complain to
your OS vendor.