eternally zone x-fers

Tue Feb 20 16:00:42 UTC 2001

Dear list users,

I just (hopefully) solved this problem:

I run 2 bind 8.2.3 servers. One is master the other slave. For hours the
master tried to xfer the zone to the slave (approx 15 times a second). I
think reason was that the serial no on master was uptodate while the serial
of slave since starting the slave never was changed. As I manually updated
the serial no on slave and restarted named on both dns servers the master
just sent one NOTIFY to the slave and the slave answered that notification.

My questions are:

1. If I change master zone, shouldn't it update slave zone as soon as master
zone is restarted again? Or do I have to update serial no on slave zone as
well when changing it on master zone and restart both of them at approx the
same time? (frankly, this sounds weird to me)

2. Does the serial no be the reason for eternal ongoing zone x-fers?

Thank you in advance

Philipp