Simple DNS question about some basics. NOTIFY and REFRESH difference

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Feb 21 05:10:03 UTC 2001

According to RFC 1996, all *registered* slaves are sent the NOTIFY.
*Stealth* slaves, however, i.e. ones not listed in the NS records for the
zone, do not get NOTIFYs by default, but you can use also-notify for them.
If a slave does not receive a NOTIFY, either because it was never sent, or
because the NOTIFY failed (probably due to some network problem), then it
will wait some period of time up to REFRESH since the last serial-number
check, before checking the zone, noticing that it has changed, and
replicating.

The bottom line is that if you want reasonably-fast propagation for a
stealth slave, make sure you have an also-notify for it.

- Kevin