BindNT Newbie Help

Roy Arends Roy.Arends at nominum.com
Thu Feb 22 15:52:42 UTC 2001

On Thu, 22 Feb 2001, Gerben H. Dijkstra wrote:

> Thanx for reading this message.
>
> For my company I need unlimited subdomains.
> So no matter what you type before the domain.com it should point to the same
> script.

Script ? Do you mean, no matter what host/domains are
hosted/delegated/specified under domain.com, the authoritative nameserver
should respond with the same record.

If that is the case, you can use wild cards,

For instance, if you have:

*.ikwilhet.nu. A 192.168.0.1

Means if a resolver asks for "groetjes.ikwilhet.nu." then the nameserver
will respond with the A record.

> The script is no problem at all.
> The DNS entry is though :)
>
> How do I go about this with Bind for Windows NT.
> Has anybody ever done this with the NT version?
> I'm a complete newbie with this stuff, so take it easy on me :)

This has nothing to do with nameserver-brand/operating system. Its a
"protocol feature" specified in RFC 1034, 4.3.3 "wildcards".

Regards,

Roy Arends
Nominum