denied/unapproved update

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Feb 22 23:40:23 UTC 2001

Georges Olivier wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Here are two troubles encountered on a AIX server, please give me some informations about them.
>
> 1/ After some changes on one of the dns servers, the named keeps sending the following line in
> /var/adm/syslog.log
>     named[7664]: unapproved update from [10.1.25.46].4123 for labo.testing-zone.com
> or sometimes
>     named[7664]: denied update from [10.1.25.46].4582 for labo.testing-zone.com

Someone or something at 10.1.25.46 is trying to update your DNS dynamically, but they are not
authorized to do so. Either authorize them, get them to stop, or just live with it (you could
fine-tune your logging configuration so as to make it less noisy).

> 2/ While launching the named I've got another message :
>     named[11598]: limit "max number of open files" not supported on this system - ignored
> Where can I find some info to tune that parameter ?

Well, it says that the OS doesn't support that function, is there any reason to disbelieve that?
What version of AIX, by the way? You didn't say. Maybe someone on this list -- or on an AIX list
-- has specific knowledge as to whether getrlimit()/setrlimit() on the various AIX versions exist
and/or are sane.

In any case, there's no reason to care about this log message unless you're actually using -- or
wanting to use -- the "files" option in named.conf. Are you?