Really wierd glitch in resolution

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Feb 23 00:21:57 UTC 2001

Duncan Hill wrote:

> On 2001-02-22, Kevin Darcy did say,
>
> > Are you getting this message back from *your*own* machine, or from
> > some machine in the mass.edu mail infrastructure? This could be as
> > simple as a botched forwarding alias.
>
> No, sendmail logs indicate that it is the local list server that is
> failing to work properly.  I can sit on the same machine, and use the
> mail command to send mail.  It doesn't appear to bounce.
>
> Feb 22 18:58:29 einstein sendmail[2326]: SAA22296:
> to=****@hcc.mass.edu, ctladdr=dhill (8/0), delay=00:00:18,
> xdelay=00:00:17, mailer=esmtp, relay=graygull.hcc.mass.edu.
> [134.241.135.3], stat=Sent (OK)
>
> Yet from the failed mail that MAjordomo is trying to send:
>
> Feb 22 11:57:55 einstein sendmail[21860]: LAA19372: LAA21860: DSN:
> Host unknown (Name server: hoc.mass.edu: host not found)
>
> I have TRIPLE checked the entry in the list subscribers, even deleting
> the file and re-entering it by hand.  No go.

I don't know too much about MajorDomo, but that sendmail syslog entry
definitely implies that MajorDomo is trying to send to the wrong address.

Sorry, but I don't see a DNS or even a sendmail issue here. You could
probably verify that by turning on query logging to see if sendmail is
even *trying* to resolve an MX record for "hcc.mass.edu". Perhaps a
MajorDomo wizard would know of some way to turn on "debug mode"...